Sponsor's Link

PAGES

May 26, 2012

What does "Appendectomy" means exactly?

According to wikipedia: An appendectomy (sometimes called appendisectomy or appendicectomy) is the surgical removal of the vermiform appendix. This procedure is normally performed as an emergency procedure, when the patient is suffering from acute appendicitis. In the absence of surgical facilities, intravenous antibiotics are used to delay or avoid the onset of sepsis; it is now recognized that many cases will resolve when treated perioperatively. In some cases the appendicitis resolves completely; more often, an inflammatory mass forms around the appendix, causing transruptural flotation. This is a relative contraindication to surgery.

My son went through this last Friday around 4:30 pm May 25,2012. That morning he told me he didn't get any sleep at all. I asked why and he said his tummy was aching, at the lower right. I got worried. So I asked him to take a bath and I went to do my laundry while checking on him if his condition would be better once in a while. My son seldom complain about aches and pain so yes it was a big deal for me. I remembered I uttered a little prayer saying Please God whatever he was feeling give him the strength to overcome the pain.

It was 11 am when I decided to bring him to the clinic and have him checked . There,the doctor said I should bring him to the hospital . So I did.

It was a very long trip. He was pale and I kept praying. I was scared to death. I wished that his suffering would go away or be transferred to me instead. Was I over reacting? But he is the most precious to me. My only child and he just turned 15. He gave me nothing but happiness everyday in his own way. He is the sweetest thing on earth. All life's disappointment disappears when he hug and light up to me. No matter how mad I was at his faults it was nothing compared to the joy being with him. I love him beyond his imperfection,beyond weaknesses he showed. So am I over reacting?

Arrived at the hospital I went looking for my uncle who is a surgeon there. I was very thankful that a family were close by ... And I felt secured for I know They will lend me a hand. I told him what the problem was and After hearing my explanation he said he will have to double check and do some test... Urine and Blood . That confirmed everything.

I was interviewed by the nurse and we were advised that they will have to schedule his operation that same day. He was admitted and I felt that K got scared at the thought. But I reassured him that he will be fine.

I was not prepared when I went there .. I didn't bring any personal stuff that we'll be using while we were staying at the hospital . Good thing my cousin Anne let me borrow her fan and pillows and blanket. Personal stuff were brought by R shortly.

The operation went fine. He was convulsing, chilling and hallucinating when he went out of the Operating Room. He spoke and asked if it (operation) is done. I said yes and assured him that he will be fine. He was naked and two interns began clothing him.

They brought him to the Surgery Ward still unconscious and there he was chilling and showing different emotions. He cried and got mad, i thought something was wrong with him so I asked if that was normal. The nurse said yes. Oh, That was a relief!

I watched him for 3 nights and two days with less sleep on my part. K wasn't permitted to eat or drink anything for 24 hours. He begged for it. That was one of the hardest experience for a Mom like me. Seeing your son hungry and thirsty. One instance that I had to overcome for his own good. He got dextrose anyway.

I took some photos as well as videos to document this particular event. Some people find this weird but as a blogger and a Mom my experience could be useful to somebody else. We all learn something from unfortunate events. We learn from experience. I know that my son learned his lesson the hard way.

Then were allowed to go home Sunday afternoon. Right now K's condition is getting better. He was recovering so fast. Especially now that he's back home. Thank God for seeing us through this ordeal. I thank Him for not taking my son away. I am grateful to all my "earth Angels"... Yes for me they are. For the prayers, love and financial assistance be it in the hospital, at cyberspace, or at home... My family and friends.... I got my strength from you. Most especially to my son.

No comments: